The course will explore the policy, planning and regulatory context of the public higher education sector in South Africa. Participants will be able to understand:
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- Key trends that are shaping higher education internationally, regionally and nationally.
- The contextual issues that have to be addressed in achieving the vision of a transformed higher education system in South Africa;
- The legislative and policy mechanisms, the planning mechanisms and the funding mechanisms that steer the national response to these issues; and
- Some of the instruments being deployed to contribute to transformation of the system.
- The strategic planning process at a university level.
- The Principles of effective university governance, the role of various governance structures, and key governance frameworks within a university.